Thursday, June 19, 2014

Less is More and More is better

We all know the saying "Less is more" but think about it. Is less really more? When it comes to things like junk food (when you're trying to start a new diet) or maybe even homework (if you are a student) then yes. Less is definitely more. On the other hand when it comes to things such as information about a certain person, product, or thing...less may not be more. Less is a terrible mistake and may even cause your hair to burn off (just saying).
Anyways.
Once upon a time there was a girl (let's just call her Laura). Now Laura loved Youtube and doing hair so one day she said to herself "Hey! How about I create a hair tutorial on Youtube of me wanding my hair!" And that's exactly what she did. Following her hairdressers instructions (without reading the label or being told any other information) she sprays her hair with TRESemme hairspray and proceeds to wand it. Holding her hair for the allotted amount of time she sits and waits. Then BAM! She removes the wand from her hair (sorta) and realizes that her hair is still stuck to the wand.

Here is the link to the video for your own personal enjoyment. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdVuSvZOqXM

I see where she's coming from. I mean if my stylist told me to use a certain spray I would. But I think I would also get more information about how and when to use it. Perhaps it was a time thing and she held out her numbers a little too long or she didn't receive the information needed to determine how long the wand should have stayed. In this case, the less information she had definitely was not for her betterment and caused her to have a terrible run in with a wanding iron.
Many times certain information is not available to an employer which could cause them to make a decision based on the applicants race, gender, or lifestyle. In this situation more information may be better for someone who has the appearance of a felon but a squeaky clean record. In the case of someone with a terrible record, more information given to the employer will help them to determine if the person seems to be the right fit for the job.

3 comments:

  1. LOL! Funny story! The girl’s face in the video is priceless. I must admit I’m a youtube watcher and I haven’t seen this one! LOL! Great example of asymmetric information. I too have had a few hair DIY mishaps, like the time I tried to give myself bangs…BIG MISTAKE! I agree with you on the comparison to job resumees. This day and age most job applications are online. I personally do not feel as if they offer the employee a good snapshot of the person’s character, personalities and abilities. It is especially is not beneficial for someone like me. I have no work experience and the only things I have to put on my resumé are school and community activities and references. Nothing compared to the 4 years work experience of a fellow applicant seeking the same job as me. I could very much so I have a better personality and attitude about the job than the other applicant, but she looks more qualified than me. In my case more is DEFINITELY better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do agree that you should try and find more information before trying this. Wouldn't want anyone else to burn their hair off. It does not hurt to be over prepared in situations, but ill preparation always leads to failure as seen in the video. Preparation is key, especially in the hectic life of Episcopal high schoolers such as ourselves. Great work on the post and funny, yet very unfortunate video. Keep it up Jayla.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember that video! I think it really is important to know all the important information about a product before using it, especially a product that could burn off your hair. This is an awesome example of asymmetric information because it shows a real life consequence of not knowing all of the facts. I also agree that while it is wrong to judge someone on his or her appearance especially in something like a job interview, it happens in real life and knowing this information it is important to present yourself as a professional individual.

    ReplyDelete